Have you ever heard of iPhone recovery mode? If you think you’ll take care of it when the time comes, you’re wrong. You should at least know what it is and in what situation it is used. Putting your iPhone in recovery mode is a useful troubleshooting step when you are facing a complex software problem. In this article, I’ll tell you everything you need to know about how to restore your iPhone!
What is iPhone recovery mode?
If your iPhone is having problems with software or applications, a restart can often solve the problem. However, these problems sometimes get worse and force you to put your iPhone into recovery mode.
Recovery mode is a fail-safe mode in iBoot that is used to reboot your iPhone with a new version of iOS. It is generally used when the currently installed iOS is corrupt or updated with iTunes. You can also put your iPhone into recovery mode if you want to troubleshoot or jailbreak it. This means that you may have already used this feature during a standard iOS update or restore without realizing it.
How does iPhone recovery mode work?
Simply put: In recovery mode, you will find all the necessary components to install the official iOS updates and fix any bugs in the software. This way, your iPhone will always be ready to go through this process without having to download a bunch of stuff each time to put your iPhone in recovery mode.
Why do I need to put my iPhone in recovery mode?
Some problems that require recovery mode to be resolved are :
- Your iPhone is stuck in a restart cycle after installing an iOS update.
- iTunes is not registering your device.
- The Apple logo remains on the screen for several minutes without being changed.
- You will now see the iTunes Login screen.
- You cannot update or restore your iPhone.
All of these problems mean that your iPhone is not working properly, and it will take more than a simple reboot to get it working again. Below are the steps to put your iPhone into recovery mode.
What does recovery mode do?
When the first mobile phones appeared on the market, they were still very simple and without much ringing and whistling. Today we are very dependent on our smartphones and every detail of our lives is stored on them. Therefore, a recovery function is very important for a smartphone. With iPhone Recovery Mode, you can easily restore your iPhone to its previous state when your data or settings are damaged. In short, the iPhone recovery mode will solve the problems we saw in the previous section. (Why would I put my iPhone in recovery mode).
What are the advantages and disadvantages of iphone recovery mode?
Benefits of iPhoneRecovery mode
Here are some advantages of iPhone recovery mode,
- Recovery mode is used to prevent further damage to your iPhone if something goes wrong. As a result, it can fix many iPhone problems, including IOS installation and upgrade errors, touch screen problems, removing bad beta versions, bypassing forgotten passwords, iPhone restart cycle problems, and more.
- You can restore the previous settings and functionality of your iPhone. Not only can you restore your operating system to factory settings, but you can also restore emails, iMessages, music, photos, and so on if you have a backup.
- This function is very practical. As long as you have iTunes on your Mac or PC, you can perform all the necessary steps to activate recovery mode on your iPhone.
Drawbacks of iPhone Recovery Mode
Here are some of the disadvantages or drawbacks of iPhone recovery mode.
- Restoring the iPhone to recovery mode has a side effect : When you perform a restore on the iPhone, all settings and data are erased and the iPhone is reset to factory settings.
- If you do a weekly or even monthly backup, chances are you can restore your phone to 90% of its previous state. However, if your last backup was six months ago, you shouldn’t expect it to work as well as it did yesterday.
- Since iTunes is used to restore your iPhone, you can expect to lose some content that is not included in iTunes, such as B. Applications and music that were not downloaded or purchased from the AppStore.
How do I put my iPhone in recovery mode?
To prepare for recovery mode, make sure you are using the latest version of iTunes. Otherwise, update iTunes to the latest version.
How do I update iTunes?
Update the iTunes application on a Windows computer.
- Open the Apple Software Update from the Start menu.
- Install all updates if available.
Steps to put the iPhone in recovery mode
- Close iTunes on your computer when it is running. Next, connect your iPhone to your computer via a Lightning rod and open the iTunes application.
- Forced restart of the iPhone when connecting to a computer.
- Keep pressing the keys until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. (See below for different reset methods for different phones).
- Select Update when a pop-up window appears asking you to restore or update your iPhone. iTunes begins downloading the software to your device.
- Configure the device after the update or recovery is complete.
There are several ways to reset different iPhones or iPads. Follow the steps below to perform step 3 above for your device :
- iPhone 6s or newer, iPad or iPod Touch
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake up button and the Home button simultaneously. Do not release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Hold down both buttons until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
- For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
How do I put my iPhone 7 in recovery mode? Press and hold the Sleep/Wake-up button and the Volume button simultaneously. Do not release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Hold down both buttons until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
Turn off the unit. Then quickly press and release the volume up button. Then quickly press and release the volume control. Finally, hold down the side button until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
What should I do after putting my iPhone in recovery mode?
Once the iPhone enters recovery mode, iTunes displays three options : Cancel, repair or renew.
- When you choose Update, iTunes tries to reinstall the latest version of iOS on your iPhone without erasing any data.
- However, if the iOS takes more than 15 minutes to boot and the device exits recovery mode, allow it to finish booting and then repeat these steps to re-enter recovery mode. This time, select Restore, which will remove the entire contents of your iPhone and restore from a backup.
What to do if your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode?
If you are experiencing the problem that iPhone is stuck in recovery mode on iOS 14/13.7. The good news is that you don’t have to throw it in the trash, because we will show you some ways to deal with it.
One of the best ways to fix an iPhone stuck in recovery mode is to force restart it. This way, you can solve most of the problems related to your iOS device without using a computer. Follow these steps to learn how to fix an iPhone 6 stuck in recovery mode:
- Press the Wake/Sleep button and the Home button on your device simultaneously.
- Press and hold both buttons for at least 10 to 15 seconds.
- Release it when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Follow these steps to fix iPhone 7 stuck in recovery mode:
- Instead of pressing the Home button, press and hold the Volume Down button on your device.
- Press and hold the Alarm/Sleep button simultaneously.
- Press and hold both keys for another 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
If you have a high-end iPhone, such as iPhone 8 or iPhone 11 or iPhone 12, that is stuck in recovery mode, follow these instructions to fix the problem:
- Press and release the Volume Up button on your iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus / iPhone 11 / iphone 12.
- Press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the power button on the right. Release it when the Apple logo appears.
How do I exit iPhone recovery mode?
If the iPhone recovery was successful, the phone will automatically exit the recovery mode when it reboots. You can also exit recovery mode without restoring the phone (if your phone was working properly before). If not, recovery mode is always the best option). For that:
- Disconnect the device from the USB cable.
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button (or the Side, depending on your model) until the iPhone turns off, then release it. Depending on your model, you may also need to press and hold the Volume Down button (if you are using an iPhone 7 or newer, press and hold the Volume Down button instead of the Home button).
- Press and hold the button until the Apple logo appears.
Release the button and the device will start.
What should I do if my iPhone does not recover?
There are many reasons why the iPhone is not recoverable with iTunes. In fact, this problem can be attributed to both software and hardware issues – but it’s easily solved if you do it the right way. How do I repair an iPhone that cannot be repaired,
Updating iTunes on a Computer
As we wrote above, updating iTunes with your computer can fix this problem.
Restart the computer
If your iTunes is already updated, the next step to fix your iPhone is to reboot your computer. On a Mac, simply click the Apple button in the upper left corner of the screen and click Restart at the bottom of the drop-down menu. On the computer, click the Start menu and restart.
Resetting the iPhone when it is connected to a computer
We don’t always recommend restarting your iPhone, but it may be a necessary step if your iPhone can’t be repaired.
The process to restart your iPhone depends on the model you have: (it is the same process as described above; if your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode).
Try another Lightning/USB cable
Often the iPhone is beyond repair because the Lightning cable is broken or otherwise defective. Try another lightning rod or borrow one from a friend.
What should I do if the iPhone recovery mode does not work?
If iPhone recovery mode does not work, please read carefully the effective solutions listed below.
If iPhone recovery mode doesn’t work, your first solution should be to update the iTunes application. iTunes is one of the most important programs. It was developed by Apple to solve iOS-related problems. So you need to update the application and maybe the problems will be solved. If you want to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes, there are specific steps to follow, which are described below:
Upgrading iTunes on Mac
- Go to your Mac and launch the App Store application.
- Go to Updates, then macOS will start checking for available iTunes updates.
- If available, click Refresh.
Update iTunes on Windows
- Open a Windows computer and download the iTunes program from the Apple website.
- Then launch the iTunes application and click on the Help button, then click on Check for Updates.
- If an update is available, click Install.
- If you downloaded the iTunes application from the Microsoft Store, it updates automatically.
Most of the problems with the iTunes application have been solved after the update. So it’s worth a try!
Forced restart of iPhone
Even after the software update, the iPhone recovery mode does not work, you can try to solve the problem by forcing the device to restart. A forced restart can solve small problems. The procedure varies depending on the iPhone model used and is described in detail below:
- Forced launch of iPhone 6 or earlier models of iPhone or iPad : Press and hold the power button and the start button. Release the buttons when the Apple logo is visible.
- Forced restart of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus : Press and hold the power button while pressing the volume down button. Let go when you see the Apple logo.
- Forced restart of iPhone 8, X and later : Press and release the button to increase or decrease the volume. Then press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
We learned all about iPhone recovery mode, where to use it, how to use it, what to do if iPhone stuck in recovery mode, how to exit iPhone recovery mode, what to do if iPhone recovery mode doesn’t work, and more. Thank you for reading, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us!
Also read :
frequently asked questions
What does iPhone recovery mode do?
iPhone Recovery Mode is a safe troubleshooting mode that allows iTunes to attempt to restore the iPhone operating system if something goes wrong. You can enter recovery mode by connecting the phone to your computer, launching iTunes, and then performing a forced restart.
How does recovery mode work?
Google Nexus recovery mode: Press and hold the power, volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously. For other devices, users can visit the manufacturer’s website or do a quick Google search. When the key combination is pressed, the system boots up and the user is prompted to open the Android recovery menu.
How do I restore my iPhone from recovery mode?
Press the Sleep/Wake-up button and the Volume button simultaneously for approximately 8 seconds. Then, release the Sleep/Wakeup key, but hold down the Volume key until the iTunes application pop-up window says: iTunes has detected the iPhone in recovery mode.
recovery mode iphone 6, how to restore iphone without itunes, how to put iphone 6 in recovery mode, how to put iphone in recovery mode, how to put iphone in recovery mode without computer, how to put iphone in recovery mode iphone 11, iphone stuck in recovery mode, iphone recovery mode iphone 7